back to RStefan01.com
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Linux
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2000 4:56 am 
Site Admin

I thought it'd be fun to install Linux, just for the hell of it. I had a choice between Red Hat 6.2 or a technical preview of a fairly new version of Caldera that my dad had copies of. I went for Red Hat, for no reason in particular. I installed it, poked it around, installed it again with different options, and then had more fun with it. The only thing that really works is my video card, the rest.. not so much. After about an hour, I figured out how to trick it into dialing the modem, but it always disconnected when trying to log onto the network. Having the only sounds coming out of the pc speaker gets annoying rather quickly as well. I've tried out gnome and kde, though I did most of my poking around in kde. I'm back in the happy land of windows where all of my hardware works, I can connect to the internet, and listen to mp3s. I also haven't figured out how to mount drives in kde, though I did in gnome. Maybe I'll mess around with Linux some more Wednesday afternoon, or maybe I'll get annoyed with it and get my hard drive space back. Who knows =)