back to RStefan01.com
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Computer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:07 am 

It's time for a new computer. My current system has existed since I put it together around this time of year in 2011. It lasted pretty good cause back then I splurged for a fancy new-fangled quad core.

I am starting to order parts now. I am grabbing things when they are a good deal, so things might not come right away or together at all. I shall post pics and such - because you all care oh so much.

Post subject: Re: New Computer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:27 am 

First things are power supply and case. Everything shall remain in boxes so I'll have some sort of Christmas in July.

One of the top-reviewed lines of PSU's at a reasonable pricepoint. I figured a 550W would easily meet my needs, so I intended to buy a 650W to leave extra headroom. Plus it was like $5 more. Then I found the 750W on sale, cheaper than either of the above. So I bought it.

I actually bought this a couple months ago and it's been sitting on my floor since then, unloved.

Price: $120, before a $25 rebate (for which I wait patiently)

It was very hard to decide on a case. I was between this one, the Corsair Crystal 460x, and the NZXT s340 Elite. I chose this for two reasons - permeable front for airflow and...other things, and superior cable management...for which the 460x is absolute shit.

Price: $110. Yay to free shipping too!

Opened the box to make sure the glass didn't shatter during shipping. Gives a peek of the colour scheme I'm going for.

Last edited by Dr. Mantis Toboggan on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:31 am 

Rodney helped me get a new computer a hand me down from one of his friends for only $200 last year.

What a boss that guy is.

I mean like Durins old friend Rodney. We hang on occassion now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:30 am 

I was looking at price point values recently. The Ryzer series has some new products that are rather affordable at the moment and will go the distance in terms of longevity competing with Intel products performance wise for less.

Right now video cards are incredibly expensive and you should be wary of purchasing anything 2nd hand with the advent of crypto-mining. Many cards are used up to point of exhaustion and you will likely find issues with them. I managed to purchase a GTX 1070ti which is on par with a 1080 for $700 while 1080's are currently going for 1k. I'd have a second look since NVidia just released a card for 3k that specific for cryptomining so i'm unaware if that has had an overall effect on reducing the price point for the 1080 or the 1080ti.

16gb's of ram is pretty standard these days in DD4. I'd recommend having a board where you can add more later if you so choose.

Obviously SSD is still pretty standard for performance and will do the job. I recommend at least a 250GB just for installing Windows and any games you play with long load times and a secondary hard drive. Typically terabyte hard drives are affordable these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:40 pm 

Ya
I follow these matters pretty closely. I have a GTX 960 I plan to hang onto for another year or two, in hopes that miners fuck off by then. It still does the job adequately for now.

I think I remember Rodney. Like, conceptually. I always heard about him but maybe never met.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:42 pm 

I am sad that 32GB of ROM is so expensive. I have 16GB in my 7 year old system and I really feel like I should at least double that. 16GB was excessive then, but I remember buying 8GB kits for around $70 each. Fuck you, RAM cartel!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:13 am 

Added: deets that nobody cares about. Discuss.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:36 am 

its a racket for sure

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:57 am 

I honestly don't known if going beyond 16 yields anything impressive. However with how hungry browsers are with memory I would imagine multitabbing would be a bit better and lower the latency in general. I dunno. Honestly I think 32 is a bit overkill.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:13 am 

In my use case, it definitely wouldn’t yield a benefit. But when you see what I am building, very little of it benefits my use case. It’s straight epeen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:20 am 

Still, it seems to me that 7 years later, RAM quantities ought to have doubled...or maybe quadrupled!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:44 am 

I thought the other thread was the new computer thread so go reference that

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 am 

We went to purepwnage together. That was the trip through the blizzard we all thought we were going to die.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:13 am 

Upon this price curve there is the sweet spot and then two or three or four std. deviations above it. You have money at this point, just go good quality NVDLMOP SSD BYOB ram and be done with it. GPUs are semi normalized in price now.'

Also after careful consideration: fucking yourself?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:10 pm 

The pure peonage blizzard was epic

LMOP RAM is best!

Fucking self 4 life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:36 pm 

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 am 

Why only a 120GB SSD? First of all, I bought it for the speed more than the capacity. NVME SSD's are pretty ridiculously expensive, compared to their 2.5" counterparts. I plan to keep my OS and a few key apps on here. The price of SSD's are coming down fast, so I don't want to dump a ton of cash into an expensive larger drive when I can upgrade it in a year or two for a lot less. Second, the price on this thing was ridiculously low. I spent like 50 bucks on it. Thanks, eBay and your silly, silly stacking coupons.

Mobo. It's colors relate to my theme. I like ASUS. They've always made me happy. Plus, I got it for like 25% off. Every single part in this build I managed to pick up at a rather high (for PC parts) discount. I have become the Zen master of couponing.

Speaking of Zen...

...Final parts for my build were ordered yesterday. Some other parts were ordered a few days before that. Soon, I will be queen of summertime!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:06 am 

I have my eyes on one of these motherfuckers. I wonder...should a motherfucker just use an emulator?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:13 am 

I just noticed you bought the exact same case I did (I rebuilt in December). I really like it. The lower part where you can stick the drives is a little bit of a hassle to break into, but I love the way the cables tidy up. I've never been someone who wants lots of LEDs shining lights all over the place but if I cared enough there's probably a way to turn those off. It's nice finally having USB ports on the front panel.

Great deal on the SSD. First time I saw one of those gum stick sized drives I was pretty surprised

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:33 am 

That's fantastic. Is yours the black or the black/white? One of the big selling points is all the cable tiedown points and the like. I enjoy your approval!